Escape

Ever wonder why parents send their kids to classes? I don't mean tuition classes, no. What are they called, hobby classes? Yes, them. Right from when the kid is 4, no older. Drawing, swimming, dancing, singing, abacus, stitching - the lost goes on!
By the time the poor thing's home in the evening, he is so tired, all he can think of is sleep. Oh, wait. He can't think for himself, because he is five!!

I was so against this. I mean I would go over to my nani's so I could 'play' with my cousin brother. Not so I would see him wake up, go to tuition classes, then school, come back, dance class, drawing class, then home by dinner time. I 'used to' feel strongly about this, but not any more. I figured out just this morning why classes - hobby classes, not tuition, mind you - are important.

You see, as we grow up, we begin to have a set routine - most of us, anyway. Sometimes, our "work" becomes too much, and we need a break. We do give ourselves a break, but what do we do? Most of us watch TV, go online, listen to music? Do you realise you don't really 'do' anything in the break? Like an action - walk, talk, write etc?
So I thought what I do in my 'breaks'. 'Til a year ago, I'd do the same. Now? I play Sarod. Not for very long, 45 minutes maximum. But for those 30-45 minutes, I can be anyone. I can just go on playing Jana Gana Mana (because it sounds so very beautiful on the instrument, and you can hardly make any mistake), or I can practise what I've been told to. I can learn a new song on my own, or I can compose, even.
I swear, I am drained of any energy in 30 minutes flat, maybe 45.

That is my escape.

I'm sure you had no idea where I was going with the hobby class thing, but now do you get the drift?
If you've guessed, then yes - I think they want their child to know his escape, before it's too late.
I think it's safe to say that this - let's call it a 'theory' - is true with my parents. I'm glad they pushed me to drawing classes, singing, dancing, blah blah, and NOT to abacus (thank God!).

Yes, I have an escape.
What's yours?
Because let's face it - everyone needs an escape, n'est-ce pas?

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are these times when your stuck, so royally that the only way to actually feel 'fresh' after a little break that you take is the 'escape'.Btw, I really loved it the way you emphasized on the 'escape' . Since you so beautifully wrote this down lemme share some of mine too.
    For me its the paints, pen and paper. There are times when I sit with a cup of coffee endlessly writing my thoughts on any topic for that matter, it generally deals with the stuff I come around as a soon to be 18 year old - eg. Friends, Relationships, Emotions, Aspirations, Hope and Fear to name a few.
    I may not paint as well as Aditya Damle ( There's no comparison actually, He is too good ) but paints are peace...every stroke make you realize how creative you are :)
    Keep Writing Gargii ! :)
    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Gargi how are you..i like your post...and the thought you conveyed in it...i was lucky i never had to attend any such hobby classes...but yes i did join a classical music class once...anyway my escape is writing and reading...some times i go for a long walk or cycling and some times i plunge deep into thoughts..hmm escape from this world is a real tough job,,,but its lovely too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im good, thank you. I learnt classical vocal, too. I still listen to it when I can. Does help me think straight! Thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  4. Hey that's beautifully written. =)

    Very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts