The Dirty Game, they call it

I am not a very politically aware person. I do not have strong political views. It is not something that I am particularly proud of. It just is like that. I only hope it doesn't remain like that for long. I do not read newspapers on a daily basis. Or on a weekly basis. That does not, however, mean that I am completely oblivious to the happenings around me. Unlike Alia Bhatt, I do know who the President of my country is. 
That being said, I should have had zero interest in the Big Interview. The RaGa - Arnab Goswami one. Fine, I did have zero interest - but not for long.


After our daily dose of Umesh Kamat and Spruha Joshi, Aai insisted on switching to Times Now. I knew about the Interview, of course, for Aaba had been on about it since forever, and Aai had spoken to me about this whole election thing not long back. I was reluctant to switch channels, but since no one was forcing me to watch, I didn't - couldn't, rather - have a problem.

At first, it seemed like any other interview. Later, though, questions - yes; answers - not so much.

Whether the questions asked were valid, I do not know.

Throughout the interview, Rahul Gandhi was definitely beating around the bush. He would take long pauses very often, and by long I mean the long that makes you wonder if your TV screen froze. He would blink and go blank in the face. He would repeat himself, as if to convince himself of what he was saying. I am far from having a political opinion, fine, but I am no kid when it comes to recognising lack of confidence, mainly because I do the very same things when I'm not sure about my stand on a particular subject. Either that, or he was sleep deprived.

The only answer that was to the point, neat, well-framed, was to the last question, at the end of the interview. Apart from that one, all his answers were disappointing, incomplete.

I am not taking a stand here, but this man is contesting elections for the Prime Ministerial post.

If he is going to be intimidated by a journalist, how are we to trust him with a 1.27 billion population?

PS I couldn't stop myself from writing this - it was good to see a quiet, polite, wanting-to-reason version of Arnab Goswami. It really was. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts