Priorities

"She needs to sort out her priorities." -Ron Weasley
(This one sentence by Ron, among others, has stuck in my head ever since I first saw the movie.)
This post is specially for engineering students who think they are studs because, duh, they're engineering students.
I don't say engineering isn't rocket science (oh, the pun), just that psychology is also (not rocket, but) a science. And it is hardcore. We study the mind. And the brain. It is magical, okay? *smirk*

So, priorities. They are relative. As Naina Talwar intelligently points out in Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani - "Sab ki priorities alag hoti hain, maa!"
Indeed. Normal parents to their kids before exams say "Get full marks, finish the paper on time, check after you're done, blah blah". My mom says to me "akshar changla kaadh" (let the handwriting be legible). There. Yes, my handwriting is more important to my mother than getting full marks. No, that does not mean she wants me to fail.
An engineering student takes a day off to meet his girlfriend and crash, jaws drop. "Kitna fukat ka time hai re uske paas!?" Why, can't he live for a day?
I get worked up about not being able to finish a book on time, not about my unit test results. And no, that does not make me a careless, bad student.
I have a presentation to make the very next day. Right now, I am not very well. What do I do? Yes, I sleep. For a good two hours. Because I know I will rock the presentation. (I am immodest like that!) No, mujhe "sharam nahi aati" in saying this.
The fact that I am an Arts student does not make me oblivious to studies and tests and projects and assignments. It just makes me more proximal to theatre, books, music, exhibitions - and Colaba (wink!). It means I have more to life than textbooks and notes.
I do not judge people on how much they scored in the 10th standard. I don't give a damn. If your language is good, if you appreciate good music, if you read books, if you like to travel, I love you.
But if you're going to be a snob and bring up the full marks that you always got in maths and science when you were in school, sorry. You should have been in another class right now; not sitting next to me in the sociology lecture.

All I'm trying to say is, don't undermine the other faculties and make a fool of yourself. We are launguage-people. We are Arts students. We can write. We can sing, dance, act, paint. That is badass.
Engineering karke koi teer nai mara hai. There is as much hardwork in Arts/Commerce as there is in Science.
Next time, before you say "tu chup reh, tu toh Arts wali hai" and laugh, think. I'm assuming they teach you that in college.
PS If you think the post is for you, happy realisation!

Comments

  1. good going Bachcha! i totally appreciate this as i faced same dialogues way back in the late 1980's! just shows that the society and it's views on things like this have not changed. all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Gargi! Completely agree to you.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gargs, I have done engineering but i dance sing and enjoy. No one is less important, so do it your way and have blast.

    Enjoyyyy.
    Aditya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I'm thinking is how severely were you frustrated about people calling on you for you being in arts, that you put up a whole piece of article on telling them why not to! With HarryPotter('O:)') examples, ofcourse. :D
    Btw pretty cool article, I'm in arts, totally get what you're saying -- spare me the grammatical errors, Nazi!
    PS - This is some new comment you were looking for other than wow's and well done's, hope you're happy :D ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Karan, you. Yes I'm happy, thanks!!

      Delete
  5. Glad i could be of help. You're welcome :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is so good. I really like how you write like you're actually talking to me. That feels great.
    I'm an Arts student, I understand every sentiment you've worded here.
    "Engineering liya hai toh koi teer nahi maara" xD

    Also, you're the only person I know, whose mother insists on good handwriting, screw the full marks.

    I'm glad to have come across your blog. Keep writing. :)

    Love,
    Saee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm so glad you like my writing! Thank you very much. Hope you're doing great. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts