Being little

"Bade bade shehron me chhoti chhoti baatein hoti rehti hain."
Of course. Little things happen. They happen all around you. And it's funny how these affect one so much.
The 'little' things, turns out, are not so 'little'. They make you a better, or worse, person. They change the way you look at stuff. Sometimes, they change the way how people look at you. They change your way of assessing situations.  They change you. The change may not be huge, mind you. But it still is there. And more often than not, you're the only one who knows how significant it is. And it makes a difference, it does.
I'll tell you how.
We got our unit test papers last week, and I scored my lowest in psychology. While handing the paper over to me, my teacher said something along the lines of "you have the potential to do better". I've been hearing about my potential since class 8. And never have I felt that there is actually potential in me because I truly believed that teachers say that to everyone all the time. But when my psychology teacher says that to me, I feel like may be, just may be, I do have potential. Two reasons - one, she teaches psychology, duh, and two, we are 116 in a class; there has to be a reason why she said that to me. Me only. So I tell myself, "Gargi, no more potential talks. Ever," and here I am, planning to stay up till late night and study. And I realise that for the first time since I gave my first exam, ten uears back, I want to do well. I want to be better than last time. I strive to be better than the rest. No one is forcing me to do well (partly because 11th standard is considered almost unimportant). And it's a wonderful feeling. The feeling to be better, I mean.
Was this a teeny bit over-thought? May be. But think about those little things that go unnoticed. Like the rain that spoils/makes your day. Or going earring-shopping with your best friends. Or getting a hairdo right. Or may be the light of the full moon on a clear night. Or..let's see..the use of a new word you just came across, in the correct context. It could be a small (okay, not so small) realisation. Or even a free chocolate from the canteen wala. Or-
But you get the drift, right? My point is, next time something 'little' happens, think about it. It may just be not-little.
And life is about those little things, n'est-ce pas?

Comments

  1. You're posts are like warm chicken soup. :D

    I love this one, please keep writing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is called self realisation! enjoy the phase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe actually Psychology teacher said same to me too..... ;) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts