The Real deal

I cut open the cellotape-sealed
white cardboard box.
On it is our surname,
written in Devnagri.
All of us know what to expect
but we huddle around it,
trying to be casual -
all of us adults,
our eyes betraying
the pretense of having chill.
Before the flaps are up,
our eyes shut slowly
in response to the divine smell
filling up the entire house
very, very quickly.
I reach in and discard
the uppermost layer of hay.
And there they are -
12 of the finest fruits,
red-green-yellowish each,
lined in a rectangle of 4x3 pieces.
There is another box,
similar, but not quite.
The others move on to it quickly,
but not me, not yet.
The mango elitist in me won't allow it.
So I continue to sit there
marveling at the curves and edges
thinking to myself,
भैया, आम हो तो हापुस
वरना ना हो।
ये पायरी-वायरी कैसा मज़ाक है?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts