matrilineal history/present

my mother, and Her Mother -
they are nothing like each other.
my mother was a journalist,
is now a writer.
Her Mother worked in civic administration,
is now a writer. (wait-)
my mother is unashamed, loud, out there,
vocal, hard working, determined,
and full of surprises.
Her Mother is quiet, opinionated, forceful
in love, articulate, devoted, 
and full of surprises.
my mother treats food like sustenance.
Her Mother treats it like a treat, but for sustenance.
my mother offers water, kokam sarbat, cold coffee
in that order
and Her Mother offers water, taak, and limbu sarbat
in that order - 
all because you refused water.
(god forbid you refuse the first ladoo they name.) (umm-)
my mother loves starting conversations
2 minutes before i fall asleep.
Her Mother loves talking about her day
2 minutes before her grandson falls asleep.

i know what you're thinking,
i'm thinking that too.




Comments

Popular Posts