tea for two, and a poem

i didn't realise when dusk fell,
the sky is the colour of cinnamon dust now
dregs of my last chai have dried up at the bottom of the cup
you were supposed to be here by now, कुठे राहिलीस?

lost in uncharted territories 
of places and memories
I seek the warmth of our conversations
Is there a name for the time between the dusk and the night? 

प्रदोष, no?
इंग्रजी झक मारते गं मराठी समोर, पण ते सोड
so what if it's almost midnight, coffee करते पटकन
how long will you wait at the door?
aren't your books and water bottle weighing you down?

tonight I'll leave my English (and formalities) at the door
मी काही मदत करू का? सवय आहे मला आता पाणी प्यायल्यावर पेला माठावरच पालथा ठेवायची
आणि लक्षात आहे कुठे असतो चमचा, वाटी आणि तुझी आवडती उशी
तू किचन आवर, मी गादी लावते

पंख्याखालची जागा तुझ्यासाठी ठेवलीये,
पडदे उघडेच ठेवते, आपण झोपू असं दिसत नाही.
पुढच्या वेळी तुझ्या घरी आले की मावशीला सांगेन
केवढी कामं केलीन तिच्या लेकीनं, माझी आई प्रेमातच पडली
Laptop ठेव ना आता बाजूला, dawn is already breaking 

माझी आई तुला वेड्यात काढेल,
माझ्या कामसूपणाचे पुरावे तिच्या कोर्टात invalid आहेत...
बाहेर सोहनीचा भैरव झालाय
अहिर भैरव व्हायच्या आधी एक चहा करायचा का?

तुला कसं कळतं नेमकं कधी काय हवं असतं?
तेवढंच कळतं असं नाही काही. कधी कान, कधी हात,
कधी दाद, कधी फटके - कसं जमतं बुवा? मला शिकायचंय.
Will you let me trade some of me for some more of you? साथ में दो cutting और ये कविता।

The door beckons at me
The afternoon sun reminding me of it's presence,
The borrowed शेवंती rests beautifully
Atop my वेणी, floats on the vessel full of water on the dressing table
And it's time to leave before we wilt into a Multani
The sun sets against the kohled waterline of my eyes,
A tea cup for me, a tea cup for you
and every place becomes a home.

Comments

Popular Posts